Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Beginning of New Technology

Hello!!!!

Welcome to my blog.

I'm Natasha and already I make myself think that I am dependant on someone else to help me set up my blog. I am quite frankly, too afraid to work independantly on my own computer. I find working on Microsoft word, browsing myspace and google a great ease but that's probably about it.

I'm a first year student who is studying a Bachelor of Journalism. New Technology is a compulsory subject I must complete. I'm not and never was or will be, interested in computers, I find them frustrating and confusing at times. My house had its first computer when I was eight years old. New technology has dramatically revolutionized, and I feel as if I am never up to date with the latest trends on the Internet. Computers were just never in my domain.

I'm mostly interested in very social and active activities, such as performing arts, sport, dancing But I realise that learning about New Communication and Media from this course will help me acquire the skills necessary to survive as an affective journalist.

Technology such as the Internet, is widely used by everyone, everywhere. Digital revolution has as stated in the text book, fundamentally transformed modern life. Becoming a journalist, I must be up to date with the modern life and learn how to set up, write and publish my work, or the work of others on the Internet if asked. I think this course is very useful not just to me, but to everyone, Regardless who they are, where they work and from what generation they are from. This course will help me to extend my skills in communicating to the world.

Week ones lecture had its pros and cons. Firstly, Steve is a terrific public speaker who can communicate effectively to the audience. Some of the lecture notes however, involved definitions and the process of discovery of new technology, or how technology was invented and that seemed to be tedious because I wondered how I was going to remember such facts.

Steve told us to read the first four chapters of our text book called 'New Communications and Media'. When I read it, I found it difficult to understand compared to Steves Lecture which I found easy. I came across words such as dialectic, meme, political economy, vector, convergence. At first I thought this subject was going to be about how technology and media affected, influenced and changed the society during its own epoch and from decade onwards, however, I was wrong, I realised it won't get that easy. I am sure to find out what this subject will offer, or maybe, I should really go and read the course outline, which I have only just now, found out where to find and how to print off.

From weeks two lecture, the movie that was shown was the only thing I remembered (I think I response well to visuals rather than verbal) I enjoyed the movie and compared it to today's technology and I thought to myself,
"My God, how much has technology improved and from all aspects; colour, shots, quality of the screen, movement, voice........"

I am looking forward to finding out if technology has changed society, or has society changed technology. I hope I can make sense out of the topic because the text book confuses me and learn as much as I can!!!

No comments: